Chances are you may know someone who’s been diagnosed with a critical illness like Cancer or Heart Disease. You can’t help noticing the difference in the person’s life—both physically and emotionally. What’s not so obvious is the impact a critical illness may have on someone’s personal finances.
While a major medical plan may pay for a good portion of the costs associated with a critical illness, there are a lot of expenses that may not be covered. During recovery, having to worry about out-of-pocket expenses is the last thing anyone needs.
Most importantly, this plan helps you focus on recuperation instead of the distraction of out-of-pocket costs. With the Critical Illness plan, you receive a lump sum cash benefit at the time of diagnosis. This benefit is directly paid to you giving you the flexibility to reimburse yourself for unexpected out of pocket costs, to take time off work or to afford some additional help around the house. The benefits are yours to use however you see fit.
What is New?
This year, SDPEBA is now offering a new version of the popular Critical Illness plan.
Group Critical Illness plan changes:
- No pre-existing condition exclusions. As long as the diagnosis is after 8-1-19, policyholders will be eligible for benefits.
- No age restrictions. There is no longer an age limit for enrolling.
- No reduction in benefits due to age. The previously offered plan’s coverage was reduced by 50% at age 70.
new conditions were added:
- Paralysis, and Bone Marrow Transplants
- Loss of Sight, Loss of Hearing, Loss of Speech
- A $500 benefit will be paid every year for 5 years if diagnosed with cancer.
childhood conditions added:
- Autism, Childhood Diabetes, and more.
Do I need to re-enroll to get the new plans and rates?
Yes, all employees who previously enrolled in the Aflac Critical Illness plan will need to re-enroll in order to take advantage of the new plans and benefits. If you do not re-enroll you will keep the plans you previously had. The plans are not automatically upgraded to the new versions. We recommend that you consult one of our Aflac Benefits specialists before making any changes to your current Critical Illness plans to see if the new plan is the right fit for you.
How to enroll:
The deadline to enroll in Aflac is June 30th, 2019. SDPEBA Aflac specialists are available to assist you until 5pm on June 28th, 2019.
Enroll online: visit www.wecareworks.com/aflac. The enrollment login credentials are:
- Case ID: B743
- User ID: City ID (without leading zeroes)
- Password: SDP2019
Enroll by Phone: 888-315-8027
If you have any questions about Aflac or any SDPEBA benefits, please email email@example.com.